Stephen J. Stone
Areas of Practice
Mr. Stone practices in the areas of estate planning, probate, trust and estate law, business organization and commercial transactions including mergers and acquisitions. He also assists clients in the formation and administration of charitable trusts and private foundations.
Mr. Stone served as the Lubbock Area Bar Association President for 2013-2014, as well as the Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation and the Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. He is committed to bringing value by offering creative, timely, and strategic advice to help achieve his clients' business objectives including asset protection, tax reduction and liability issues. He counsels clients on the advantages of limited partnerships, LLCs, and other flow-through structures.
Mr. Stone regularly represents executors and trustees in the administration of substantial and complex estates and trusts. He also prepares estate tax returns as part of his estate administration work and can defend the positions taken on those returns.
Professional History and Affiliations
- Shareholder in the firm of Field, Manning, Stone, Hawthorne & Aycock, P.C.
- Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization: Estate Planning and Probate Law (1988)
- Admitted to Practice:
- State Bar of Texas (1981)
- United States Tax Court
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- Certified Public Accountant, Texas, 1977
- State Bar of Texas, Member: Taxation and Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law sections
- American Bar Association, Member: Health Law and Real Property Probate and Trust Law sections
- Lubbock County Bar Association: Treasurer 2002-2003
- South Plains Trust and Estate Council: President 1997-1998
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV
- Completed Basic Mediation Training as provided for in the Alternative Dispute Resolution Procedures Act
- Lubbock County Bar Association: Treasurer 2010-2012
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Estate Planning & Probate Law Advisory Committee
- Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Adjunct Professor, Personal Financial Planning Department, Texas Tech University, 2019 – 2020 – Estate Planning
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Texas Tech University, 2010 through 2019 Fall semester – Estate and Gift Taxation
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Texas Tech University, Fall 2011 - Estate Planning
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Texas Tech University, Spring 2005 - Estate Planning Course
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Texas Tech University, Spring 2004 - Problems in Small Business
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Texas Tech University, Spring 2001 - Estate Planning Course
- Speaker at the State Bar of Texas Estate Planning & Probate Drafting Course, October 2011 – Family Settlement Agreements Including Ancillary Mediation Documents
- Speaker at South Plains Advocates for Elders, Inc., November 14, 2007 - Multi-Party Accounts
- Speaker at South Plains Trust & Estate Council, Fall 2006 - Non-Testamentary Transfers or do I Really Need a Will?
- Speaker at South Texas College of Law 10th Annual Wills and Probate Institute
- Various other local continuing education and community education speaking activities
- University of Houston, J. D. 1981
- Texas Tech University, B.B.A. with Honors, 1975; Beta Alpha Psi; Beta Gamma Sigma